Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Good News of Great Joy- Cheers for the New Year!





" But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart. And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them." Luke 2:19-20


Like those shepherds I too leave this Christmas season praising God for all I've seen and heard throughout 2011! I am thinking back on all God has brought forth this year not only in my life but in my heart- discovering new desires and " renewing" old ones! Now it been close to 2 years since our move from Athens, Georgia and I look back in awe at the journey that lead us here. God has faithfully lit our path here with the love and support of many friends and family. Our " nest is truly blessed" with love, laughter and always a touch of chaos- enough to remind me God is always in control because I can't be! As I read in an article shared with me, " our home will never be perfect, but it will always be beautiful because it is full of joy"!

Over Christmas following Mary's journey (through out Luke Chapters 1-2) was my personal advent. My favorite part has always been when the Angel comes to Mary announcing she has been chosen to be the mother of Christ. She is struck with fear, confusion, disbelief. Yet she lays aside her feelings of fear and her thoughts of disbelief and trusts God with her life despite all the crazy circumstances...
" Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." Luke 1:38

What a beautiful moment of personal surrender and display of strength and grace. A decision that changes not only the course of her life but of all creation. What an inspiration for each of us to carry in all our endeavors through out 2012!

As I continued reading I was reminded Advent season may have come to a close on Christmas Day but the story did not end with the birth of Christ. It only begins....

The week after Christ birth Mary is pondering all that has just happened to her. I'm sure she felt a little tired yet awestruck after going through childbirth and all the difficulties and obstacles along the way over the past several months. This is the week perhaps she too rested. She let it all sink in and looked back in amazement at how faithful God had been to her, in ways unexpected. We rest and ponder as well this week anticipating the New Year and recuperating from the hustle and bustle of the holiday. Gratefulness and joy for all the abundant gifts and blessings we just received not only on Christmas Day but through out the year 2011. May we each treasure up and ponder in our hearts not only the visible gifts 2011 brought, but may God reveal to us those disguised gifts. Those that came wrapped perhaps in trial or difficulty only to reveal the rarest treasures in our hearts.

As we ring in the New Year, may we be like those shepherds when they returned from Bethlehem and celebrate! For they too knew their lives would never be the same. God brought them an answer , a savior. Today and always we have that same answer, the same Savior. Because of this may we always look towards the New Year with even greater hope, joy and expectation!

Blessings in 2012! Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment